Nov 27, 2015

Taiwan (ROC) Embassy 20151024

Our first stop in Mbabane was lunch, which was next to the Embassy of Taiwan.  While our bus was passing by, I took a few quick shots as I usually do.  But apparently this time, I took one too many.  While stopped by the street, a couple of guards boarded our bus asking about the photo I had taken.  The building next to Taiwan's Embassy was a building about 8 stories high, which was the Central Bank of Swaziland (see it here on Google map)  We were told that there is an Embassy of a very important country in that building, who didn't want to be photographed.

After lunch, we walked to Taiwan Embassy.

DSC02433

The Ambassador (one of the few left in the world!) greeted us at the gate.

DSC02436

Visiting the Embassy has a special meaning for me.  Being a son of a diplomat myself, I grew up around a Taiwan Embassy in the 70s.  There was a feeling of familiarity when I entered the building. My wife and I also had a connection to the Ambassador and his wife, as they were the Consular at TECO San Francisco before being assigned to Swaziland.

The Ambassador first welcomed us 'home', as the Embassy grounds is considered part of Taiwan.  He then spent some time presenting the work that they do at Swaziland, which included educational, technological, medical, and agricultural assistance.

DSC02438

Saying goodbye to Taiwan, and returning to Swaziland!

DSC02442

No comments:

Post a Comment